Tom Van Baak wrote:
If I have several crystals and I want to find the ones with good phase noise, do I have to let them run in their ovens for a week/month, or can I just turn them on and measure the phase noise?

I'll make a distinction between time domain and frequency
domain measurements.

A long warm-up is helpful if you want to measure frequency
stability (e.g., sigma of tau, or ADEV).

But, depending on the equipment you use, a phase noise
measurement (e.g., script L of f) doesn't require the source
to be long-term stable; you get pretty much the same phase
noise results in the first minute as you would a day or week
later.

I agree fully, but the first minute of operation can for some designs have significantly higher phase-noise. Discovered that for one oscillator of lesser quality. Viewed it with a spec with a fairly wide sweep (to get fairly quick update rates) which is sufficient to see the noise level decrease as it runs. I suspect it takes time for the signal level in the oscillator to stabilize, but that is to be expected.