Peter Vince wrote:
2009/12/26 Robert Lutwak <lut...@alum.mit.edu>:
CSAC is intended for portable battery-powered operation. Surely your
basement has the space and wallplug power to support an LPRO. (p.s. don't
cool the damn thing, heat it).

Hi Robert,

     Do I understand you are suggesting heating an LPRO, not cooling
it?  That seems to go against what I understood, that greater cooling
leads to increased life.

While not directed to me, these are my understandings:

Besides the power applied to heat the Rb lamp, the physical package needs to be at the sweet-spot in temperature, so heating is performed.

By lowering the cooling of the physical package, the powerconsumption goes down. So better isolation has to cool of less effect.

This stands in contradiction to the lifetime of the electronics, but the physical package and electronics have two different requirements.

     As an aside, a newbie question if I may: being so used to Caesium
standards being THE reference, I was surprised to hear that the CSAC
has an aging mechanism - can you say a few words to explain that
please?

Don't confuse the stability and repeatability of elaborate beam clocks with that of (cheaper) gas cell clocks. Rubidium and Thallium beams has existed but Cesium was a better match for that purpose, Rubidium was found more suitable for the simpler and cheaper gas cell standard. Rubidium excells over Cesium in laser cooled fointains, since it reacts better to the laser cooling. Thus, each technology finds different technological balances with different atoms.

May one suspect that the gas cells buffert gas mixture and resulting wall-shift/gas-shift balance is one of the long-term age effects, just as with ordinary rubidium gas cells. Another aspect to consider is that this clock does not have the C-field servo loop which modern cesium beams have.

Then again, I think Robert can lecture a mere student (lazy such) to the field like me.