Steve Rooke wrote:
2010/1/1 Magnus Danielson <mag...@rubidium.dyndns.org>:
Sticking to POSIX serial I/O interface should make it work on BSD, Linux or
whatever else UNIX style OS of sufficient recent vintage being used. Should
be a suitable common denominator and cause less hassle to maintain than
#ifdefs for each OS-style available on the planet (which was the old way of
dealing with portability).

But what about a single code to cover nix and DOS/Windows?

It should be possible to the best of my knowledge... I haven't played with DOS or Windows programming for years. Except for some simple GPIB exercises, it must have been back in mid 90ies or something. Anyway, I assume POSIX sockets and serial I/O exists. The only real cleanup is the GUI interface, where wxWidget or GTK might be the options to consider.