From: time-nuts-boun...@febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-boun...@febo.com]on
Behalf Of Lux, Jim (337C)
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:44 PM
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Test Equipment

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts-boun...@febo.com
[mailto:time-nuts-boun...@febo.com] On Behalf Of Gerhard Hoffmann
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:50 PM
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement

Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:
What frequency ranges?
If you are interested in <60MHz, then something like the
TenTec TAPR VNA
($600) connects to a PC or a mac.  Works as a signal
generator and as a 2
port VNA.

Or this one:
(DG8SAQ)

Excellent to 500 MHz, quite usable to 1300 MHz.
Does 6 or 12 term error correction, most of this VNA is software.
I'm just using one to tune a 100 MHz oscillator with opened loop.   :-)

The only drawback is that one cannot measure compression
because the absolute levels vary over f.

But then it can embed / de-embed, virtual match, display the Q
and equivalent circuit of a crystal from S11 measurement,
L, C, time gating and and and.

Outstanding.. that one is very competitive in price (using a
ballpark $2/GBP conversion) to the TAPR one.

I'm glad that more of these are becoming available (as assembled
units, not as kits..)