My electronic bench is an old commercial one made with steel stampings and
a steel top covered with Masonite.  The Masonite is still in fair
condition.  Although over the years the non-conductive top has been an  asset
in
avoiding short circuits, etc., I am concerned about static  discharges when
handling modern semiconductors.  Would it make sense  to spray the Masonite
with a weak copper sulphate or similar solution so as to  make the masonite
slightly conductive, but not so conductive that 155 VAC  connections could not
safely rest upon it?  Is there a better-suited  material that could be used
to replace the Masonite?

Ironically, in the 1960's, Transite (asbestos) was sometimes used as a
covering for electronic benches as as it was resistant to molten  solder.  The
downside was that in sliding heavy equipment around,  friable material could
be released.

Bruce Hunter