And at least I can drop a transistor on the floor without too much damage ;-)

Robert G8RPI.

--- On Thu, 28/1/10, Rex <r...@sonic.net> wrote:

From: Rex <r...@sonic.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Conducting Bench Top Material
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts@febo.com>
Date: Thursday, 28 January, 2010, 5:50

Steve Rooke wrote:
> Wasn't life so much easier with valves (tubes)...
Nostalgia?

Valves (tubes) warmer in close proximity, yes. Global warming should make that,
on average, less helpful.

In the 60's listening to rock music, I could look at the final tubes in a dark
room and see the purple glow inside dance with the music.
Anyone else?
Solid state amps just can't do that. Way cool. I never tried it with cannabis,
but probably even better.

Other than that memory, and certain trade-offs at big Rf power, I'll say I no
longer encourage the glowing bulbs for most things.