One issue to bear in mind is subharmonic phase modulation due to the currents associated with lower frequency outputs flowing in the ground and supply leads. Another not well known issue is that modern CPLDs have an internal usually undocumented state machine and associated oscillator to intialise the logic from the internal EEPROM. This is done to reduce power consumption as EEPROM cells have significant dc current. The EEPROM is disabled after the initialisation, however the state machine internal oscillator may not be. To find out if the state machine oscillator is turned off after the intialisation process you have to ask the manufacturer.

The state machine oscillator is an unwanted source of phase modulation whenever it is oscillating.

Bruce

paul swed wrote:
They are indeed cheap and it would be handy to have low noise divider
chains.
6 decades worth. 74ls90s get really boring to wire.
Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with using the device. But I do seem them
used.