On 02/23/2010 11:10 PM, Matthew Smith wrote:
BTW: does anyone know if a 0.55V p-t-p sine wave from an Rb source would
be enough to clock an Atmel AVR microcontroller?  The crystal/clock
input *is* an amplifier, but didn't know if I'd need to do anything to
the signal first, to get it closer to the 5V logic level.

It will.
Set the fuses as you would have for a 10MHz crystal, and capacitively couple the source to XTAL1. Leave XTAL2 open.
Do not set the fuses for 'external clock mode'.

Do put something like 100pF+1k Ohm in series with the input. While they won't promise anything, I have deliberately run 1A into the protection diodes of an ATMega16 for many seconds and still had a functional part.

/Kasper Pedersen