Mine is marked "TTL" internally. The service manual has a chart showing the differences between the sine and TTL options, and I converted it to the sine version by changing a jumper to a resistor and populating an LC filter with 10uH and 100pF (~5 MHz). I also terminated the RF connection on the connector board with a 47 ohm resistor to ground.

It sounds like you made the changes to the A4 oscillator board, but not the ones to the A3 power supply board (several inductors, resistors and caps). I found that using a 1 uF for C16, instead of the documented 0.1 uF, gives a better signal. See the top of page A-15 in the manual.

Exactly that's probably the culprit.
If you need a sine wave output but don't want to change anything inside, just add a lowpass filter. A 5th order LPF (three inductors/ 2 caps or vice versa) should give you a clean sine wave output.
Just add a coupling cap to remove the DC component.

Adrian