Thanks for all the responses.

I've also had a response from uBlox support informing me that the TimePulse accuracy will degrade (both due to motion and of course due to multipath, weak signals etc. - datasheet accuracy figures are for reasonable/optimal conditions). The uBlox module has a T Accuracy filter which can impose a limit on the estimated accuracy of the PPS. When the limit is exceeded it will stop the PPS. The T accuracy estimate is also accessible in navigation strings, which is what I'm now going to monitor. The T Accuracy filter takes more into consideration than does TDOP - the accuracy estimate includes detected multi-path, weak signals as well as the standard factors that TDOP is based on.

The one question I've yet to resolve is whether or not motion can cause sustained increase or decrease in the period of the pulses and not just increased jitter.

Daniel

Magnus Danielson wrote:
Hi Daniel,

Hi,

I've recently completed a GPSDO using the pps output of a uBlox Antaris
TIM4 GPS module to discipline a 10MHz OCXO. I'm now investigating the
motion effects (acceleration/uniform velocity) on the accuracy of the
time-pulse and hence on my frequency output.

Are you moving around in areas with little obstruction for the GPS antenna
towards the sky? Then I would first look at the dynamics inpact on your
OCXO.

I've been unable to find any detailed information on the relationship
between the accuracy of the pps output and the effects of having the
receiver in motion (i.e. in a car/boat, at velocities far below the
modules operating limit of 515m/s) - I'd appreciate some input on this
matter. Does motion cause increased jitter?

Tilting/accelerating your GPS oscillator might possibly yield an effect.
Other than that there is no theoretical advantage keeping your receiver
stationary. All its measurements are done against satellites moving at ca
4km/s.

I disagree... for some receivers...

As you line up you pseudo-ranges you now have to solve only the T variable rather than the XYZT position. This means that all pseudo-ranges is available for solving the T solution and reducing the TDOP error. The T-RAIM is also able to drop more false-tickers.

For receivers not having a T mode only but normal 3D or 2D mode, the benefit of fixed location is of less concern.

So, for a receiver at a fixed location knowing it has a fixed location it may be a benefit.

--
Daniel Davson
HW Design Engineer