The Trimble Thunderbolt GPS/DOs have been on a nice learning curve. Lady Heather helps alot to understand what is going on.

Checking and calibrating your freq counter to the stuff you have at work is a great idea. Just keep in mind the basic accuracy of the aade stuff, after you get back home.

For my 10 GHz transverter I use a externally boxed up ISOTEMP 10 MHz xtal bases OCXO with voltage control. Before a radio contest I will warm up the OCXO for a few days, then I measure it with a freq counter using the GPSDO as reference.
Adjusting as needed.

I do not think you can go wrong with  a Trimble T'Bolt. Cost effective fun.

Stan, W1LE