There is another way to compare two frequencies, relevant when they are very close together. I divide a reference down to 100KHz and use it to clock a phase detector made of a pair of D flip flops. The unknown (divided to 100KHz) is fed into the circuit and an output that is proportional to the phase
difference appears on the output as a changing mark-space ratio.
Using CMOS and a precise power supply (because under no load, CMOS output is precisely rail to rail), the averaged output (100ms RC filter) is fed to a strip chart recorder. The recorder shows the changing phase difference and folds back each time a whole cycle passes. A 12 bit analog data logger resolves 2.5ns of phase and gives data for further analysis. There may be a small amount of missing data in the vicinity of the foldback, but if life threatening this could be avoided by running a second unit with the signals delayed to be near quadrature, and using the better data of the two. I use a lower frequency version of this system to monitor clocks (mechanical ones with pendulums).
Cheers, Neville Michie