On 09/01/2010 04:11 AM, Heathkid wrote:
How about a "Laser-Cooled Mercury Ion Frequency Standard"?
http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1225.pdf

I have way too little liquid helium dewar flasks at all... but sure, it would be fun. I would certainly see a bunch of challenges in mixing down from about 40,5 GHz.

Here's another approach:

"A diode-laser optical frequency standard based on laser-cooled Ca
atoms:Sub-kilohertz spectroscopy by optical shelving detection"
http://www.nist.gov/customcf/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=105042

Yet more challenges. Getting the visible light lasers frequency-related to something like 10 MHz or 100 MHz is a whole bunch of optical lab-bench and lockings later. Few labs have dared to achieve it as far as I know. Who else but PTB?

Thank you for making a homebrew H-maser look simple! :)