Hal Murray wrote:
jim...@earthlink.net said:
The gas diffusing out through the drilled bolt.. sure it's drilled, but  the
conductance is so patheticaly low, you're literally waiting until  the gas
molecules happen to randomly bounce their wey up the hole.

I've never worked with vacuum gear.

I assume "drilled bolt" refers to a bolt through a drilled hole so there is some slop between the bolt and the hole.
No... the bolt has a hole through it, to provide a gas path when you install it into a blind tapped hole. Otherwise, the trapped gas in the bottom of the hole slowly leaks out past the threads.

Can I use vacuum grease as a seal around the bolt? Or does it outgas too much if you are going for seriously low pressures?

For the most part, grease is more trouble than it's worth. Knife edge seals are where it's at.

Can I use a soft(er) metal washer and mash it to a gas tight fit by tightening the bolt enough?

Not exactly.. what you see is a knife edge cutting into a softer metal... "mashing" implies gas trapped between layers.. That kind of thing crops up in TWT manufacturing, where they stack all the parts of the gun or the collector...

How low a pressure does a H maser need? Where is it relative to say fingerprints outgassing?

That's a good question.. I don't know.