Were it me, I would change the model from a few high power
transmitters netted together to a ton of WiFi routers running
special software and netted together.

-Chuck Harris

paul swed wrote:
A great thread by everyone. Oh to make the loran receivers work. But that is
indeed the past. Can not hear Europe on east coast.
But the question really is, what do you want to accomplish? I don't think
its a time stamp. Its just to easy to get it from GPS or the network. But
that could be a secondary use. I believe the primary goal would be frequency
distribution with perhaps a tick.
If this is the goal then I am 100% in agreement that there are far more
efficient modulation and recovery methods today. The trick is you need
something that does not effect the accuracy of the timing and may improve
the various transmission issues at these frequencies. By the way this list
has a heck of a brain trust so its very very possible.
Someone mentioned spread spectrum. Thats very interesting as it is what GPS
uses and could work at these lower frequencies.
Like the  "Hey this is just telemetry" comment. You know the FCC does indeed
give temp authorization for quite long periods of time. Years in fact.
So I would be in the keep it simple mode.
Great a single carrier with a id every 10 min. Maybe that could be waved to
1 per hour or 24 hours. Unfortunately then we have nothing better then wwvb.
The modulation method may be key and then what freq we would use. BPSK at
higher frequencies is also impressive.
My first contact was in the indian ocean on 5 whats from boston.
Regards
Paul