On Nov 3, 2010, at 10:12 AM, jimlux wrote:

> Bob Camp wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have indeed seen people try to do this with 18 ~ 24" aperture optics. They
>> don't seem to do a lot better than the smaller stuff spotting holes at
>> distance. They do get a nice bright image though. Bob
>>

> Yeah, at that size, the atmospheric propagation issues are probably the
> limiting aspect. For astronomical use, you tend to be looking closer to
> straight up, which helps (same for looking down).

Looking down is typically better than looking up; the disturbing parts of the
atmosphere are further away.

> Clearly (a pun) it is possible to get this kind of performance from
> reasonable sized optics e.g. the proverbial reading license plates from
> orbit... 10cm resolution at 300 km range.. .1/3E5 -- .3 microrad (I do
> calculations in my head MUCH better in metric)... even 1 meter resolution
> (which is widely published) from orbit is 3 microradian.
>
> the KH series satellites are rumored to have 2.4 meter optics.  Whether they
> have 10 cm resolution in use is uncertain.

The HiRise camera on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter has a 0.5 meter aperture
and routinely does 20 cm / pixel resolution from orbit.

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07087

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/teknikos.php

Regards
Marshall