On 11/09/2010 03:07 AM, Hal Murray wrote:
> The Garmin USB 18 was much better.  Unfortunately, it wasn't as sensitive as
> competing units and it's been replaced by the 18x which has the typical
> horrible jitter problems.  I don't have a graph of the 18x handy, but here is
> data from a USB 18.
>   http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/ntp/GPS18USB-off.gif
> (The Garmin USB 18/18x units don't speak NMEA, but that's just SMOP.)

The 18x-lvc (rs232):

http://n1.taur.dk/permanent/hist3.png
http://n1.taur.dk/permanent/adev3.png
http://n1.taur.dk/permanent/gpst3.png

(in the last plot the y axis is seconds, not nanoseconds)

It is no timing receiver, but it suffices to drive ntpd.
Two notes: the 18x here is configured for n...@115200, as
that is what the homecooked GPSDO speaks. Otherwise the
mesages pile up, moving the time message around excessively.
This unit is decapsulated and sitting indoors.

/Kasper Pedersen