jimlux wrote:
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
In message <4cf1d64e.2010...@earthlink.net>, jimlux writes:
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

We use aerogel for insulation in Mars rovers.. Those little RHUs don't put out a lot of heat, and you don't have much electronics on at night.

Do you know if that is in big blocks or in granular form ?

Blocks..
They "cast" it (well.. more like do the reaction which makes the stuff in a sort of tray... think baking dish), then trim to size.

There's a fair number of "recipes" around to make your own aerogel. I haven't tried it, but it seems fairly straightforward, and non-exotic. There are some process controls you need to figure out, but, hey, the same applies to baking chocolate cakes and cookies.

Making it isnt a problem.
Removing the water from it (result of the "fabrication" technique) without destroying its mechanical integrity is.
One method is to use supercritical liquid carbon dioxide.

Bruce