Hal wrote:

How do you get down to "a couple Hz"?  I thought most (young?) ears dropped
out at about 20 Hz and I expect lots of radios chop off more than that just
to get rid of noise.

Beating of the received carrier and the oscillator being calibrated results in full or partial cancellation of the composite carrier -- in effect, a locally-generated carrier fade and augmentation. You hear the band noise and sideband distortion rise and fall as the composite carrier falls and rises. Easy enough to hear beats a minute long or more if band conditions are decent and you have the oscillator injection level reasonably matched to the received carrier level (though not so easy to quantify precisely by ear due to the difficulty of identifying the exact minima or maxima).

Best regards,

Charles