Chris Albertson wrote:
What you are doing is "dithering".  That is the "Leap Count".  There is a better
way that gives you the exact solution.     If you think about it, what is the
computer doing between counts? nothing really.   Put that time to use.
Why not measure the the 1Khz period.  Or measure the period of the last
1000 counts.  then toggle the output at 60/1000 of that period.  This is a
"software phase lock loop" .   Another way to think about this is to think what
would you do if your frqency reference was a one pulse per second "tick".

I got the "dithering" idea from an obvious source: the calendar. Not knowing about dithering but knowing everyone on the list knows about leap time intervals, the term I used is a no-brainer. With a 1HZ output, the thing I would do is feed it into an Arduino for the display. If I wanted a display with .1 of a sec display added, I'd have let's say the ramp-up to HIGH trigger the Arduino and code in time-waste code as needed to get the flipping intervals - including any leap wasted CPU cycles. Like any frequency multiply scheme you need a really accurate reference source... like a Ru movement.