El 19/12/2010 12:34, Magnus Danielson escribió:

Need to look at it. But essentially, during normal operation common mode isolation isn't all that hard. The problem is that during failure mode can what should be a common mode voltage and current become diffrential mode, which jumps straight through the transformers as a transient and that will burn the receiver anyway...

Usually I'm worried with common mode isolation, for noise and EMC issues, more than for protection. The kind of equipment where I've used it are used in a quite controlled environment (if there is a high-voltage transient there, and if it toast the satellite instrument, any damage in my equipment would be a lot lot lot less important... almost futile :) )
I've seen people burn their Ethernet port by hooking in an ISDN line to the wrong connector.

I can imagine :)
A wrapped solution like the ADUM1200 puts more stuff between the transformer and actual receiver... so maybe you save the receiver, but you might toast the isolator.

Since usually the receiver circuit is also ahead the isolator (for example RS422 to TTL, then isolator), it would also be toasted... perhaps protecting the isolator :)
For an optical isolation you might toast the transmitter, but that's about it. Probably that would be the least of your problems when it occurs.

Same thing...
Regards,

Javier

Javier Herrero                            EMAIL: jherr...@hvsistemas.com
Chief Technology Officer
HV Sistemas S.L.                          PHONE:         +34 949 336 806
Los Charcones, 17                         FAX:           +34 949 336 792
19170 El Casar - Guadalajara - Spain      WEB: http://www.hvsistemas.com