On 08/01/11 03:28, J. Forster wrote:
I'm looking at building a LORAN-A simulator to run a vintage display.

Hmm. Generating blips programmed in repetition rate and delay as steps of a 10 MHz clock should be sufficient and fairly straight forward. A lower clock such as 1 MHz would probably work well (and simplify the design). A programmable delay (needs to be 19 bit for 10 MHz and 15 bit for 1 MHz) using standard synchronous counters should not be too hard. Once designed it's a matter of deciding how many slaves shall be supported. A PIC or AVR could do the NMEA position to delay conversions needed, and I mostly worry about the math-support on them, which only shows that I haven't done any real project on any of them.

I used to design stuff with gates and counters by hand, and can still do
so, but it's tedious.

Does anyboby know of any freeware that can be used to draw up logic and
simulate its operation, including propagation delays? I don't need exotic
chips or any analog functions. A library of common 74...  and 40.. would
be nice.

Freeware strongly preferred.

Eagle, GEDA/GNUCAP, Electric and KICAD would be my main suspects.