Ed,

On 10/02/11 00:00, Ed Palmer wrote:
Magnus Danielson wrote:
The Frequency vs. Time view is lovely.

The 5372A does calculate ADEV but does not provide ADEV plots.

Since they don't specify, I'm assuming that it uses the original,
non-overlapping calculation. True?

Well... it does care since it is the corner case tau = tau0.
It will give you the Allan Variance and Allan Deviation for the time-base you have setup.

I was wondering about that. Is that info buried in the programming
manual? I haven't gone through the binary programming section hardly at
all.

Yes, if you dig into it you will realize it. It is very open in this sense. There is also a patent relating to the hardware accelerated histogram functionality.

Another approach is to use the Fast Port which taps into the hardware
and would allow longer runs. I have not much documentation on it and
experience on how it works. Needs to play with it.

My unit doesn't have the Fast Port option so that isn't a possibility
for me. You'd obviously need some custom hardware to make it happen.
More complications.

I will play with it.

The HP5372A programmers manual is really an inside-out manual where
you learn the internal formats and how they are processed for the
various views and results. Very open in what it does and how you can
duplicate the measurements from binary format. It's a bit confusing
initially, but once you spent the time to learn it, it makes sense.

There are a few GUI-hacks I would like to have, for longer
measurements I would like to have an ETA count-down, but real-time
update for certain views would be lovely.
I wrote a little GPIB program to automate some measurements. I added an
approximate 'percent completed' printout. It really comes in handy.

That would be handy.