Hi Rick,
if you happen to be state-side, I imagine 120V fans are pretty common.
However, if you live somewhere where they 'don't do things by halves', low
voltage AC fans are hard to come by!
Any bling PC shop can supply a range of quiet DC fans, so it comes down to
practicalities.

Brushless DC motors use a multi-kHz inverter which produces a much more
efficient motor than running it at 50/60Hz.
(you'll find a lot of 110VAC 400Hz used in aircraft for the same reason).

ian