On 3/7/11 10:27 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Bob Camp<li...@rtty.us>  wrote:
Hi

Since you are after timing off of the sat's, having antennas that move, either physically
or electrically seems like a problem. Any shift in the effective antenna location as you
tracked the satellite would be "exciting" to compensate for. There was an early
paper published based on doing this (early 80's).

I don't think anyone would build a phased array GPS antenna but if
they did the elements of the array would only move within a 1/2
wavelength range.  For GPS I think this less than 2 centimeters.   but
the effective center of the antenna would not have to move.

GPS Wavelength is (for L1) is about 20 cm.. longer for L2 and L5, of course.

It's not too tough to make sure that the apparent phase center of a phased array doesn't move, and a lot of precision GPS processing already deals with the phase center moving as a function of look angle.