Time Nuts are masters of esoteric minutia. I, on the other hand, am the king of brute force and ignorance! :-)

Ed

Mike Millen wrote:
Thanks, Ed.

Now why didn't I think of that?

Ed Palmer wrote:
Measure the wattage used by the heater at 24V and room temperature.
This is what's required to keep the oven at the proper temperature.
Lower the voltage to 20V and see if the heater draws the same wattage.
As a second check, measure the current drawn at 20V at startup and
then after warmup.  The difference tells you how much headroom you've
got until the heater runs full on.

Ed

Mike Millen wrote:
Many thanks to both of you.

Is it safe to assume that the oven has its own temperature control
system?
I ask, because I'd prefer to run it from  approx. 20v instead of 24v.

With a controller (& a room-temperature environment) I'm hoping that
it would still be
operating at its design temperature with a lower voltage.