At 02:51 PM 4/9/2011, Chuck Harris wrote...
Ok, I'm going nuts.  Why are you guys using such a
perverse way of indicating frequency?

I was of the understanding that SI specified you display
1.0MHz as 1.0MHz, or 1,0MHz.  But not 1M0 Hz.

What's the story?

I suspect it's following the (most common in Europe) convention for showing units on electrical schematics. e.g. 3k3 for a 3.3 k resistor, where the multiplier is used in place of a decimal point. It's done because decimal points sometimes don't reproduce/copy well. Certainly not necessary, and non-standard, in email.