Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on stability metrics for a slow oscillator. The oscillator is used to do a measurement of another quantity which is connected to the frequency of the Oscillator. I have taken generously oversampled data of the oscillator voltage and now I have two contradicting measures:

1) When I record the zero crossings and use them as phase data for the Allan variance, the minimum is 10^-4 and it initially decays with a slope of t^-0.5

2) On the other hand if I do least squares fits of the same data with consecutively longer runs the reported frequency uncertainty goes down to sigma_f/f = 10^-7. It also drops much faster with t^-1.5 wich seems to be due to the "Cramèr-Rao lower bound" (not that I really understand what it means), and it doesn't really go up again

It seems to be common lore that the Allan variance minimum is the best obtainable frequency accuracy for an oscillator, but the least squares fits seem to be much better. I have problems understanding this.

I have a mental picture that might explain this, maybe you can tell me if it seems correct to you: Oscillators are running at a very precise frequency much better than what our measurement devices are capable of resolving. So the drop in the Allan variance, that is initially gained when the measurement is longer, is actually just the reduction of the measurement error for this precise frequency. Only when the Allan variance goes up again, we are on a timescale over which the true frequency of the oscillator varies.

So actually the Allan variance tells us how well we can measure the frequency stability, but the actual frequency stability at least in the white noise regime is much higher (several orders of magnitude). What do you think?

Cheers,
obo