At 01:31 PM 6/28/2011, Tom Van Baak wrote:
I'm planning on counting 60Hz line cycles with some embedded hardware, then dumping the count over RS-232 every minute or so to a linux box running ntp. Any thoughts on what data to log?

Scott,

You have a PC and RS232? Skip the embedded hardware.

Too late. I lashed it up last night, dumping the cycle count to a linux box at 60 Hz. Now I'm rethinking the 60 Hz logging, as it's rapidly filling up the disk! (This is a Sun Ultra 60, not a PC, running an old and small SCSI drive.)

The file format I use is mjd,te. mjd = modified julian date, and
te = time error (the cumulative phase error, in seconds).

Any advice on an easy way to convert my timestampts from time_t to mjd? I'm using C here.

I think I'll change the logging from 60Hz to 1Hz, at least on the sparc box.

--
newell