On 7/14/11 6:40 AM, J. Forster wrote:
So?

That statement clearly imlies the Earth's period was shortened aganst some
standard.

If the Earth was the standard, how could it be shortened with respect to
itself?

It can't be. Time standards are atomic now.

-John

You've raised an interesting philosophical issue. And worthy of time-nuts, striking at the core of "what is time"..

And, as it happens, Richard's office is next to a friend of mine at work, so I will bring it up. Perhaps we can strive for more precision (or is it accuracy?) in the press release. (rigor of terminology, anyway)

I like this comment:
"may actually be large enough to observe if scientists can adequately remove the larger effects of the atmosphere and ocean from the Earth rotation measurements."

From what I've heard.. the difficulty of "adequately remove" is pretty large. Basically, they assume the earth is stable and whatever happens is the result of those effects.. that is, they use it to measure the effects.

Measuring day length or axis direction is more of a "average over many many years" kind of proposition.