On 8/30/11 12:40 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
How is the speed of light accounted for in the definition of UTC?

00:00:00 UTC is the same time everywhere. propagation only affects it if you are transmitting a signal based on UTC. If I send a signal at 00:00:00 UTC from LA to Greenwich, they'll get it at 00:00:00.1, at the same time as I receive the signal they sent at 00:00:00 UTC.

But the actual "instant" is the same.
The instant is the same, but a single observer cannot tell this.

In other words, how did they solve the conflict where on one hand we'd all
expect two "perfect" clocks to "tick" at the same time but wether they do
depends on the location of the observer?