I used to get tons (100-300 a day) of "backscatter" emails - emails that were supposedly sent by me but bounced back because the recipient didn't really exist. I use a web hosting company for my website and email so I had them enable SPF (Sender Policy Framework) on my domain and all that stopped within a few days. I'm not an expert on it but the way I understand it, any email received by a compliant system is supposed to check if SPF is enabled and if so, verify the email is from a legitimate source.

Here are more details:
http://www.openspf.org/Introduction

-Bob