Hmmm. 99% of the time I just plug things in and see what happens. That's what they were designed to do. If something pops I fix it from there. If a fuse keeps blowing I use the light bulb in series trick.

On older tube gear I do "softly" bring it up with the variable autotransformer (Variac, Powerstat), but that's only really because of the capacitors.

Just my 2 cents. I do fix a lot of stuff, though, and don't like to waste time futzing when I don't have to. Weak parts get replaced. If they were likely to fail enough to do so when I just plug something in, they need replacing anyway.