On 10/16/2011 01:50 AM, Mike S wrote:
At 05:46 PM 10/15/2011, Jim Palfreyman wrote...
http://nbcu.mo2do.net/s/18488/29?itemId=tag:dvice.com,2011://3.83661&fullPageURL=/archives/2011/10/speedy-neutrino.php

Comments please!

What an annoying website.

Here's a better source, without all the unnecessary pagination and
pablum. http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.2685

Thanks. While the annoying website was scetchy in the science pub way, and also failed to explain why neutrinos would experiencing this but not photons, the paper is scetchy in that it makes quite rough assumptions on the GPS system as a time transfer mechanism AND fails to address the much tighter time difference of 2.4 ns that the time-transfer experiment achieved.

It is a good comment that you need to consider the reference frame of GPS birds etc. It fails to analyze what is already being done and researched in that field.

So no, I do not think this paper debunk the OPERA paper, at least not by itself.

I'm to tired to make a detailed break-down right now, therefore my schetchy comments. I can dig up papers and provide detailed accounts if needed.