Justin,

A while back, I did some crude experiments with the C-Max CME6005 IC which is,
I believe, used in that evaluation module. If memory serves, there were some
rather severe restrictions documented in either the datasheet or an application
note regarding the loading on the TCO/TCON pins. As I recall, it recommended a
very minimal load (much less than what an LED might draw) and to not use the
TCO and TCON outputs simultaneously. They claimed violating these
recommendations would interfere with the receiver's operation, although I find
it hard to believe. I'm certainly not suggesting this explains your results,
only that you might want to look into it.

Regards,
Brent