On 12/12/11 2:19 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:
On 12/12/2011 01:37 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 12/11/11 4:04 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:

GCPC -- gravity controlled pendulum clock (elevation)

intriguing. From your parenthetical remark, I'm assuming you move the
whole assembly up and down to adjust the speed?

I was thinking about a huge mass that moves around?

let's see.. period is proportional to sqrt(1/g)

g is proportional to 1/r^2, so period is proportional to r.

Earth is roughly 7000 km radius, so moving it 1 meter higher or lower
changes the period by 1part in 7million... interesting.

Hmm... how does the near-field gravitational pull behave?

The far-field is surely r^-2, but wonder about the near-field effect.

Oh.. I see.. you're thinking that approximating the field as that of a point mass when you're close to the surface of a sphere isn't valid.

Hmm. this sounds like one of those integration over a volume problems I was doing 35 years ago in school.

integrate (1/r^2)dm for dm over a sphere..