John,

I agree with what you have said about the markets causing bad effects on society because the focus is all short-term, but you are talking about effects on the human time scale. HFT is orders of magnitude faster and more insane.

I saved two links from after the time of the 2010 "flash crash" of the stock market. In addition to some analysis, they both show amazing graphics of what the trading algorithms looked like on the actual market activity.

http://www.nanex.net/20100506/FlashCrashAnalysis_Intro.html

http://www.nanex.net/FlashCrash/CCircleDay.html