Bill,

On 03/04/2012 05:32 AM, Bill Hawkins wrote:
Andy, I'm truly sorry this didn't go anywhere, in spite of Forster's
attempt to hijack the thread. You got more replies from heavy hitters
than I ever did. (Excuse me, Magnus, if you do not consider yourself
as a heavy hitter.)

Well, I think I have to accept that position. I just try to contribute.

But this was a fun riddle. I found it mentioned in a number of papers I never bothered to give you the links to.

What you have is a device that has a CRT display and Nixie displays,
an antenna connection, and several 50 pin connectors. A creative
bit banger could make a marvelous display from this unit. Truly
creative bit bangers are hard to find these days.

Have I challenged anybody here? Andy is one of the good guys.

A fun hack would be to build a Loran-C simulator which produces the GRI's and timing matching the position and run enough of the loops to build all the key values for it.

There is a PhD dissertation out there which both describes the Austron 5000 hardware with some detail (not very great) and then has the improved CALOC in Matlab code:
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA337399

It references back to the "Loran-C engineering coarse", which I don't seem to find.

This link is some Austron 5000 related fun hunting a ghost transmitter:
http://www.pdana.com/PHDWWW_files/Rghost.pdf

Peter Dana might be of assistance for the Austron 5000 software:
http://www.pdana.com/PHDRES.html

As one wades through the Loran material, one realize that it's really the backdrop of the GPS system and it's infrastructure to support dual use.