I've been using Delmore GPS receivers for several years. They have a driver (http://support.delorme.com/questions.php?questionid=24 <http://support.delorme.com/questions.php?questionid=24>) for Windows that will install it as a standard serial port sending NMEA messages. The older serial Earthmates can be powered by applying 5 volts to pin 9 (return to pin 5). As long as the software communicates thru the standard Com drivers, Serial to USB converters should work OK. I've been able to tap the USB 5 volts and power the serial device (as above). Just look for a converter that is in a hard plastic case, not molded. If found the Gold-X adapters are pretty consistent working with legacy software.

Mike Blazer
San Antonio, TX