I know I am not one of the good-ole-boys here but I'd say go 100% SDR with your PC without an external A/D converter. Ok, how would you do this? You use under sampling. Many A/D converter systems use a sample and hold before the A/D converter. If you do the same before your sound card (your A/D converter) and drive the S&H with an audio output from your sound card, say at 6.1 kHz you would get a 1 kHz signal into your sound card to process. You can call it under sampling aliasing or whatever.

Unfortunately, this works only with a few types of sound cards. Last several years, most of PC audio cards use sigma-delta ADCs and there is no way to get quality undersampling. Tried it. I can not tell there was no signal -- there were really some carriers mirrors, but on odd frequencies and largely attenuated.

Greetings,
Marek