On 3/31/12 8:21 AM, Eric Lemmon wrote:
Hal,

The beauty of the header strips is that the Z3801A can easily and quickly be
converted back to RS-422 in the future, without having to partially
dismantle the unit and do more soldering- again.

true, but you have to remove the board from the case to solder in header strips. you can jumper the pads and remove the 422 jumpers entirely from the top.

And let's be realistic, you buy a surplus Z3801 and modify for your own purposes to have a RS232. Are you really going to change it back any time in the next 5-10 years?

It's not like if you sell it, someone will desperately need it in the stock condition and not be willing to open it up themselves and move the jumpers back. They're buying surplus, after all.

I can't see ever changing mine back. I could see going in and modifying it to put a USB/serial dongle inside, so it would have a USB jack on it, since serial ports are become less common.