>For a quick guide to the OTARD Rule, see <http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule>.

Interesting! Now I know I was right and my landlord was wrong, when they made me tear down my DBS dish. But now I own a house.

For the Amateur Radio service there is also the PRB-1 federal preemption, which covers actions of local governments, but not private parties such as condo associations. Some states have extended it to such, and the ARRL is actively trying to get the remaining states to follow suit.

http://www.arrl.org/prb-1

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=prb-1&id=amateur&page=1

Who wants to make a test case to see if a working timebase or frequency standard, in the form of a GPSDO, is or might be necessary for proper operation of the Amateur Radio station? :-) The Amateur service does have rules governing frequency accuracy, after all, and how are you supposed to know? A judge might say "buy a commercial transmitter", but that (arguably) violates an important principle of the Amateur Radio service.

Then again, put up an Amateur antenna, and stick your GPS mushroom on top. They'd never know.