One interesting note however. Years ago we had a standard old 4040 ripple counter in our shop that displayed a low occurrence of jitter of several times it's input frequency period at it's lowest frequency output (Sort of what you are describing below). I wish I had the numbers handy, but the output would be good for most of the time, then every once in a while it would jump to a longer delay. It was hard to catch with a scope, but when we measured every single pulse width it showed up fairly well. The high speed clock (A TTL OSC in a can) never skipped, as far as we know. We never did figure that one out. From what I remember we switched IC manufacturers, and the problem when away.

Dan