On 6/28/12 3:22 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:
Bill,

On 06/29/2012 12:07 AM, Bill Dailey wrote:
Guys,

I am looking for info on injection locking.  I have been searching
around for info.  I found an article that probably answers my question
but I can't get to it.

http://www.oldcitypublishing.com/FullText/JAPEDfulltext/JAPED2.1fulltext/11-24pp%20GC05-06%20%28Rajput%29.pdf

Can anyone give me a reference regarding the required
interconnection?  I understand the ho and why... I just am wondering
how you make sure locking occurs in the right direction.  In other
words the target oscillator gets locked to the injected signal and not
the other way around.

If you have two oscillators of the same frequency, these may
injection-lock to each other, in which case the injection locking causes
mutual synchronisation, which is a little forgotten research field all
on it's own.

This is a great starting point on injection locking that fellow time-nut
Bruce Griffith wrote and collected references for:
http://www.ko4bb.com/~bruce/InjectionLocking.html

I've always wondered about injection locking a 2.45 GHz oven magnetron, and whether you could use it to do something like FM. The magnetron is a pretty crummy source phase noise wise, but is that because of low Q (and the frequency is just unstable, which locking would help) or because the amplification mechanism is noisy (in which case locking doesn't help). That is, is injection locking more like a MOPA or a locked power oscillator.

(we're talking oven magnetrons here, not radar magnetrons for doppler radar which are actually designed for injection locking, etc. )

There's an interesting paper out there using a bunch (half dozen?) magnetrons as a microwave weed killer, where they all locked to each other, so the power was appropriately combined with minimal loss.