Chuck wrote:

I don't quite know what to say about that.  Trimble seems to think that bullet
antenna is the right thing to use.  Somehow, I would think they should know.

I normally use a choke-ring survey antenna, but I also have a Trimble Bullet III, P/N 41556-00 (RoHS version is P/N 57860-10) -- which is the antenna that Trimble recommended for use with the Thunderbolt. IME, at 35-40 north latitude it works OK indoors (with a plaster ceiling and asphalt tile over wood roof between it and the outside), and flawlessly out in the semi-open (some trees closer than you'd like) with 100 feet of good 75-ohm coax (most birds have a c/n of 48 dB or more). A Symmetricom cone timing antenna works pretty much the same, with about 2 dB lower c/n.

Best regards,

Charles