On 8/17/12 10:41 PM, Mark Spencer wrote:
Regarding the NTP server another option is to buy a stand alone NTP server that
can accept a 1pps and or 10 Mhz input, and feed it the GPS or other reference
of your chosing.  I picked up a Datum unit from ebay which is currently fed
1pps from a Jackson Labs Fury.  It also accepts 10 Mhz as well which it will
use in lieu of it's built in VCXO.

I agree with the comments about the Fury being a nice plug and play GPSDO
solution.   I thought long and hard about going the ebay route and acquring a
used HP GPSDO to supplement my Thunderbolt and ended up buying the Fury.   That
being said the price differnce between the Fury and a typical used Thunderbolt
is signficant.

I would steer clear of the typical combined NTP, GPS units with TCXO's or
VCXO's if you are interested in a using them as a source of a highly accurate
10 Mhz reference signal.   The VCXO in my datum NTP server is orders of
magnitude less stable than a typical OCXO.

Depends on the options.. The Symmetricom/TrueTime XL-DC had a low phase noise option that's pretty good, for instance, so if you found one that had the NTP option too, you're in good shape.

Installing a GPS antenna in a location with a clear view of the sky is also
helpfull.