The unit I've been offered has new batteries, and is able to be disciplined, as I mentioned to Tom. The seller indicates that the unit is checked out and is fully operational, so I have a degree of confidence that I wouldn't otherwise have if buying from Ebay. As I said in my first post, the seller is local, and has given me his address, so I do have a chance at satisfaction should things go wrong.

Note to Tom:  it's the 1250 that can't be disciplined; the 1250A can be.

Cheers,
Dave M