On 08/21/2012 12:35 PM, Sarah White wrote:
Thanks Chris.

I always appreciate clear explanations. I'm assuming that the "fixed
location" requirement is important to note for purposes of compensating
for any dopler shift, as well as the distance the signal must first
travel before being decoded.

... I would presume that the fixed location used for above calculations
would be relative to the position of the antenna? I read somewhere that
even compensating for the length of the antenna cabling is important?

Yes, the antenna location is what's being measured. You will want to compensate for cable delay but this is simply a matter of subtracting however many nanoseconds it takes the signal to flow through the cable. It does not directly affect the process of doing fixes (whether for position or for time) because the pulses from all of the satellites flow in parallel once they're inside the cable.