That's because the signs are scanned/multiplexed displays. It is not 60/120 Hz flicker.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ryan Szekeres" <ryan.szeke...@gmail.com> To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts@febo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:38 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Hi Power LED Light power supply...

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM, gary <li...@lazygranch.com> wrote:

A similar problem occurs with matrixed LED displays mounted on machinery
that has vibration. Very common in industrial controls since they like LEDs
for readability.

This is very evident on the new L train cars in Chicago. They have a
multicolor LED sign for listing the train destination. For me at least
the signs are unreadable when I try to read them from another moving
train and hard to read from a platform when the structure vibrates.

--
Ryan Szekeres
KB9TQN