Bruce Griffiths wrote:
Magnus Danielson wrote:
On 09/29/2012 02:45 PM, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
For those that have Timelab the link to the E1938A PN measurement data is:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59708595/E1938A.tim

Thank you. I will measure mine so that we can compare them.

Cross-correlation with a pair of BVAs should do it.

I'm still a little suspicious of the result, although measuring a second E1938A removed from a Z3815A produced similar results. I'll measure one of them again with an isolation transformer to eliminate an LF earth loop to see if the earth loop was an issue.
Using a single reference (PN floor < -170dBc/Hz) should suffice for this.
I didnt have RF isolation transformers available at the time.
I have since found that using a single point LF ground (rather than floating the entire interferometer) reduces the interferometer PN floor substantially.

Bruce

Measuring the E1938A with a single point LF ground produces substantially the same result. A PN measurement using a different technique (classical mixer and low BW PLL) may be useful.

Bruce